8.04.2007

Rock-a-Bye Tourist

One of Sarah's students gave her two passes for a boat cruise last night. The view from the river at night is spectacular: tattered, multi-hued houses on stilts, lively disco clubs, and the brilliantly lit Grand Palace. Ours was a quiet boat with only nine passengers and a few crew, a contrast to the party boats we passed. It must have been the combination of the gentle rocking motion, the slight breeze against my face, and the soft sound of waves lapping against the boat that caused the effects of jet lag to set in big time. As my head kept violently losing its fight with gravity, I longed to curl up on the floor and give in to sleep. And that's when the idea hit me: a nap cruise complete with cots and Tempur-Pedic pillows. At least if teaching doesn't work out, I have a back-up plan.