11.01.2007

Picturesque Penang

Just got back from Penang and I'm still daydreaming of all the good food I devoured. There's a large Indian population there and Indian food happens to be one of my faves so I feasted the entire trip. I had never tried Indian sweets before and discovered they are quite addictive. Allan and I stayed in Georgetown, the capital of the island and old part of town with colonial-style buildings and tattered tile sidewalks. It seems like it has seen better, more lively days (not too much of a nightlife that we could find). I'd like to get a glimpse of what it was like during the '60s/'70s when the GIs were there and it was the place to be. Here are some of the highlights of the trip:

Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion
Dubbed "Le Maison Bleu", this Hakka merchant's mansion is a flamboyant sight. It's also a study in feng shui and sits on a "dragon's throne" with Penang Hill behind and the water in front.


Kik Lok Si Temple
Another colorful piece of Penang, this is the largest Buddhist temple in Malaysia.


Penang Hill
Unfortunately, Allan and I didn't reach the top until after dark so we missed the sunset. It still offered a magnificent view of the island all lit up below. My camera couldn't capture that so well, so here are the rather amusing boys who rode in the railcar with us.