7.09.2008

More elephants

Yes, yes, another post about elephants. I can’t help myself; I love these creatures. What I don’t love, though, is seeing them plodding down the city streets, often right in the middle of traffic. The practice of bringing elephants into Bangkok is technically illegal, but so is prostitution. It's a sad sight, especially knowing they get scraped and bumped along the way, so I generally try to ignore the handlers and their request for money to feed the elephant. Still, it's hard not to get a little thrill at seeing such an anomaly. One rainy night when my friend Jen was in town, we saw an elephant legs-up in a puddle having the most fun. It was such a joyous sight. I took these pictures yesterday in my neighborhood. The boy below was beyond precious in his timidness.