11.14.2008

Beach living

Today was my day off (as in Bangkok, I work six short days), and I took full advantage of living a stone's throw from the beach by starting my morning and ending my day there.

The weather has been perfect the past week. I think rainy season is officially over and "winter" is about here. Bangsaen is cooler than Bangkok anyway with its ocean breeze.

Banana boats are very popular here. They dot the shoreline in the mornings, anchored and waiting for the afternoon action.

Once the sun loses its strength, the umbrellas come down and give loungers a better view.

I plopped in a deck chair myself and ordered one of my favorite dishes, yaam pla dook phu, a salad of minced fried catfish, shredded mango, peanuts, herbs and spices. It goes perfectly with sticky rice - you break off a chunk, ball it up and dip it into the juice. It also goes perfectly with watching a cotton candy sunset.