10.14.2007

Rainy Day Ramblings

It's rainy season now and it seems like once a day the sky opens up and on comes the assault. I'm staring out of my window now and see people throwing up umbrellas and scampering to dry land, the security guard at my building chasing after some big board on wheels that just rolled into the street, the women at the wash-n-dry place hastily bringing in laundry that they'll have to dry all over again, and the Thai women in the massage shop still enjoying their foot rubs and likely glad to be where they are. I hear all the soi dogs howling. There are a lot of stray dogs that live on the quiet streets because Thais will not put a dog to sleep. Almost every evening around the same time, I hear someone chanting and all of the dogs howling. There is not a temple near me so it's not the monks. Some of my classmates who lived near temples in Chiang Mai awoke every morning at 5:30 to monks chanting and dogs howling. I will have to follow the sound next time and see who it is.