2.14.2008

Happy Valentine's Day

As I've mentioned before, Thais love holidays. They also love love. (Hearts and sentimental messages are popular on all kinds of things, from notebooks to t-shirts to bedspreads.) So naturally, Valentine's Day is a huge hit here—Hallmark must be beaming. My classes tonight were positively giddy. I left with a sweater covered in heart stickers and a bag full of candy and cards (and a croissant and a tuk-tuk keychain) from my most enthusiastic students. Adults, I remind you. And those aforementioned bedspreads covered in hearts. They're for adults, too. Oh, I could digress here, but I'm reeling myself back in and will save it for another post, probably entitled "For sanuk-loving Thais, the child inside never dies" or "That's not the kids' section".

But not everyone is enamored with the holiday. Thai police take on Cupid in the annual V-day campaign to turn down the heat of those mischievous Thai teens.

Speaking of Thai police, this creative crackdown on naughty officers went into effect right after I moved here, and I meant to share.

Do you see why I'm so smitten with this country? Thailand, a big Valentine's Day smooch back atcha.