12.12.2008

Are you on cloud nine, too? and other sure-fire pick-up lines

I went to Bangkok for the day today to a) take back most of the things I had with me here in Bangsaen so I'll have a lighter load on Tuesday and b) earn some extra money at a random two-hour gig that Demelza hooked me up with. The job was for a company that makes software - mostly computer games - for Playstation, Nintendo, etc. I was there to read basic English phrases that will be used on a travel gadget akin to a talking dictionary. In a small studio that held only a chair, microphone and sheet stand, I read through a page at a time, getting a ten-second break after each one to drink water and wait for the cue on the other side of the glass. Easy as pie until the last page - the section on romance. I burst into laughter during "Have you ever thought about hugging all night?", and once one inappropriate laugh escapes, it's unbearably hard to contain the others. Anyone who's ever been to church knows about that. It took major self-control and visualization to get through the rest of the lines, especially "Whatever may happen, whatever distances may lie between us, our love will keep growing as long as we stay in touch." These are campy enough, though, I bet a baht they work like a charm.