2.06.2009

Nong Khai highlights

People often ask if one's a beach person or a mountain person. I've always had a hard time choosing between the two, but since spending time in Nong Khai, my answer would be: I'm a river person. Those five days in this small town on the Mekong taught me that it's absolutely impossible to feel any tenseness while watching water lazily pass on by. Ange and I had plans to visit other places in the Isaan area, but went here first and couldn't bear to leave until absolutely necessary.

We stayed in the Mut Mee Guest House and you wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in Nong Khai. Tables and hammocks overlook the river, there's a masseusse, yoga studio and used bookstore on the premises, and the food is the best in town. Walk down some stairs to a houseboat on the river for another fantastic restaurant and live music lounge. A minute's walk spits you out on this promenade that runs along the river and is great for early morning and late afternoon walks:

We hung out some with a French family and the kid was entirely way too precious. I almost truly mean that because he'd grab one of our fairly expensive cameras and start spinning around snapping photos, and we wouldn't have the heart to take it away.

Here's a taste of the future artist's work. I think he's quite good:

When I could pull myself away from reading in a hammock or staring at the river over homemade dessert and green tea, I enjoyed just walking up and down the streets of this little town. Not much going on, yet so much to see. Monks were everywhere. I had to take this one of the boys eating ice cream. Monks of all ages are just so photogenic with their brightly hued robes and shaved heads.

Speaking of monks, my favorite Nong Khai attraction was Wat Noen Phra Nao, a temple nestled in a forest, a perfect pairing for a peaceful setting.


Our one excursion out of town was an hour-long bus ride to Tha Bo, known for its large open-air market:
Ange on the market street:

And some kids all decked out for Children's Day, an important holiday in Thailand:

I've posted a few more pics of Nong Khai here.