2.24.2008

And paradise it was...

Though it didn't start out that way. Sometimes the means to a utopian end is a three-hour ride in a cramped, stifling, sticky van with a girl up front puking into a plastic bag.

We arrived in Krabi and arranged air-conditioned transport to Ko Lanta. What we weren't told is that the mini-van's sluggish AC only reaches the first, maybe second, row. That's why the back row was empty, waiting for us. Us being the only tourists, who probably paid for the rides of all the locals heading home or to work. But if they have to endure that ride every day, I'll gladly pitch in for their fares one time. Well, except for the girl in front of me who reclined so far into my personal space, I could easily give her a lice check (lice being on my mind because a friend of mine who lives two hours outside of Bangkok has been suffering from the little buggers). Meanwhile, the afternoon heat was producing pools of sweat between leg and leather. And the poor thing up front was still heaving, while a comforting boyfriend stroked her head. As if just to prolong our discomfort, the driver would stop every so often at a resort to drop off some suitcase or package. This being Thailand, it was never a simple process and the twelve of us would peer through the curtains at three or four men huddled around paper trying to determine I'm not sure what.

Eventually we made it to the last stop where a four-wheel-drive pick-up waited to carry us down the final, extra bumpy stretch to a near-secluded beach. How quickly that hairy van ride changed from uncomfortable reality to a source of laughter throughout the week!

There are only three modest bungalow-style resorts on this beach and you can see where sand meets rocks on both ends. Walking the length of the beach and back just takes an hour. And it's so peaceful—I don't believe I ever saw more than ten people out there at one time. Something about this place mellows a person instantly.

Let me show you around some...

My travel companions, Jill and Daniel, chilling out at the "house of the mountain and sea". See the plastic bags behind them filled with red and green liquid? We asked a server about them and he answered by singing "Jingle Bells".

Baan Phu Lae at dusk. It definitely has that laid-back beach thing going on. The restaurant here serves excellent Thai food and breakfast and we deprived ourselves of nothing. Jill commented one day that when your potassium intake is a banana daiquiri and banana and chocolate waffle, you know you're living right.

A row of mats like these face the ocean and make one completely content to stay put for hours.

Especially when you're treated to a fire show every other night.

I took this at nine in the morning, when the dog and I were the only souls on the beach.

Apparently the walk was too much exertion.

Beach lanterns.

Daniel on a motorbike he rented and rode all day long. Or at least that's what I'm supposed to tell everyone. Daniel, don't worry, I won't mention your actual kilometers logged. Or would that be kilometer?

This is more like it.

More ocean.

To our backs as we face the ocean.

A sign at Same Same But Different, a restaurant at a neighboring beach that attracts more backpackers.

Black and white beach.

We spent the last night in Krabi town because of an early morning flight the next day. Here, men fish and boys wait for the catch on the river behind our hotel.

And now I'm back in Bangkok, still finding sand in my shoes and reminiscing. I just talked to Daniel on skype and he's having a great time in Chiang Mai. Jill's back safe and sound in the US. Jill, I hope you make it through the week and your students love their new Thai goods.

By the way, why do my pictures look more vibrant before I post them to blogger? The colors seem to flatten out. Anyone know?